1 a state of great suffering and distress due to adversity
2 a condition of suffering or distress due to ill health
3 a cause of great suffering and distress
the cause of such a state
An affliction is something which causes someone physical, mental, or emotional suffering.
Affliction is a title of several works of fiction:
- Affliction (1997 film), a 1997 film based on the 1989 novel by Russell Banks.
- "Affliction (Enterprise episode)", a fourth season episode of Star Trek: Enterprise.
- Afflicted, a Swedish death metal band.
- Affliction (band), a British alternative rock band.
- the affliction(band), a band from katy texas. very few shows even fewer recordings. former screamer now a singer/guitarist for always/never.(myspace.com/aanband)
MMORPG World Of Warcraft
- Affliction being a talent tree of the Warlock class of character in the widely popular MMORPG (massive multiplayer online role playing game) World Of Warcraft. Affliction warlocks rely heavily on spells known as DoT's (Damage over Time) spells.
MMORPG Guild Wars
- Commonly referred to as "The Plague" as it sweeps across the continent of Cantha in the Factions campaign. It is used by the main antagonist, Shiro, as a tool to build an afflicted army.
- Affliction Clothing, a brand of clothing.
- Affliction Magazine, a publication dedicated to Mixed Martial Arts.
affliction in French: Affliction
abnormality, acute disease, adverse circumstances, adversity, affection, aggravation, ailment, allergic disease, allergy, anguish, annoyance, atrophy, bacterial disease, bane, birth defect, bitter cup, bitter draft, bitter draught, bitter pill, blight, bugbear, bummer, burden, burden of care, calamity, calvary, cankerworm of care, cardiovascular disease, care, catastrophe, chronic disease, circulatory disease, complaint, complication, condition, congenital defect, cross, crown of thorns, crucible, crushing burden, curse, death, defect, deficiency disease, deformity, degenerative disease, destruction, difficulties, difficulty, disability, disaster, disease, disorder, distemper, distress, dole, downer, encumbrance, endemic, endemic disease, endocrine disease, epidemic disease, evil, functional disease, fungus disease, gall, gall and wormwood, gastrointestinal disease, genetic disease, grief, grievance, handicap, hard knocks, hard life, hard lot, hardcase, hardship, harm, heartache, heartbreak, hereditary disease, iatrogenic disease, illness, indisposition, infectious disease, infirmity, infliction, irritation, load, malady, malaise, mischance, misery, misfortune, mishap, morbidity, morbus, muscular disease, nemesis, neurological disease, nutritional disease, occupational disease, open wound, oppression, ordeal, organic disease, pack of troubles, pain, pandemic disease, pathological condition, pathology, peck of troubles, pest, pestilence, plague, plant disease, plight, predicament, pressure, protozoan disease, psychosomatic disease, regret, respiratory disease, rigor, rockiness, rue, running sore, scourge, sea of troubles, secondary disease, seediness, sickishness, sickness, signs, sorrow, stress, stress of life, suffering, symptomatology, symptomology, symptoms, syndrome, the pip, thorn, torment, trial, tribulation, trouble, troubles, urogenital disease, vale of tears, vexation, vicissitude, virus disease, visitation, wasting disease, waters of bitterness, weight, woe, worm disease, wretchedness